The EiA Foundation
EiA Community Interest Company (CIC) was founded in 2009 following 6 years of successful operation of Entrepreneurs in Action Limited, a private social entrepreneurial company.
Community Interest Companies are limited companies, with special additional features, created for the use of people who want to conduct a business or other activity for community benefit, and not for private advantage. Registration of a company as a CIC has to be approved by the Regulator who also has a continuing monitoring and enforcement role.
The aim of the CIC is to ensure that EiA’s ground breaking innovative entrepreneurial programmes can reach out to help the most disadvantaged and socially excluded young people in our communities.
- We will work with young people in neighbourhoods where they are less likely to develop high aspirations. These neighbourhoods tend to have high levels of deprivation.
- We will work with certain communities where people may lack more diverse connections with people and places outside their immediate neighbourhood. Certain community characteristics are associated with low aspirations – such as insular social networks, low population mobility and a sense of decline. These may be close knit, strong and cohesive communities.
- We will work with children and young people from care backgrounds who face additional hurdles when faced with independent living at a younger age than most.
- We will raise aspirations as young people’s aspirations have a significant influence on their educational attainment and future outcomes. 11-14 is a key age range, when young people move from idealistic to more realistic ambitions.
- We will work with diverse groups because aspirations vary by gender, ethnicity, social class and area deprivation. For example white boys have the lowest aspirations and their educational attainment is also failing to improve at the rates of most other ethnic groups.